Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween Round II: I-Hop and Sugar Cookies

Grace helping by getting the butter ready.

Isabel planted herself in front of the accents.
Isn't she cute?



Amy showing much more patience with girls then me.
She helped them whip up the frosting.



Grace enjoying the fruits of our labor.





Hannah showing me how dirty her hand were.
Very flowery.



Beckham showing off his creation.
He did an awesome job!!



Beckham getting right in there and piping.



Annika taking her turn.



These were the end result!



Every year when I was little I remember my Mom making sugar cookies. And they were the best things ever. Since I'm all about traditions, I've decided to keep this one going. This year our good friends the Huhtala's came over to join in the fun. Of course the boys and younger kids went off and played various activities. But the older girls; my Hannah, Haylee and Hannah H. all wanted to get their hands dirty. And dirty they did get. But it was so much fun. We rolled out dough, much to my chagrin. Cookie dough is so tender and must be handled with care. Instead of me flipping out, I was in charge of the rolling out. The girls took over the cutting out, and mixing the frosting. We chose many various colors to tint the frosting with. We were very smart and put the frosting in ziplock bags and had the kids pipe the frosting onto the cookies. Much less mess and some very creative cookies was the result. Hannah commented that we should do this EVERY Halloween. Then Haylee piped up and said we should do this every SEP. It was fun, but I think we'll keep it to Halloween.
Our day started much earlier then this. Amy asked if we wanted to go to IHop with them. I was a little liery, but since the kids meals were only 99 cents I caved and said yes. Do you know how wild it is to go to a resturaunt with 2 adults and 11 children? CRAZY!!!! But I was very proud of the kids. The only child I really had to fight with was my almost 2year old. She did not sit still until the food arrived. Then she was too busy eating to try and wriggle herself out of the chair or my arms.

3 comments:

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

What a great tradition! You are brave to go with 11 kids!! :)

Darcy said...

Your mom did make the best sugar cookies. I remember how delicious they were. What a fun tradition to carry on with your kids!

Jessica said...

what a fun tradition! I can't wait for my boys to help me make cookies. How fun! I had to throw away most of my cookies and frosting b/c I didn't have the time or energy to frost them and give them away. What a tragedy.