Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Legit vs. Legitimate

The other day while driving Jaren to his baseball practice, we both noticed that they are remodeling the Spanish Fork Fairgrounds.  The stadium is becoming quite impressive.

Jaren upon seeing this commented, "That is legitimate." 

I was like, What?  Legitimate.  You mean Legit, right? 

Jaren:  No, that is totally lame to say it that way

Me:  No way dude, legit is so much more cool to say then legitimate.  Like MC Hammer "too legit, too legit to quit."

Jaren:  Ya, that's MC Hammer

At what point as a mother did I become so uncool.  And just for the record, what is more cool to say these days?  Legit or Legitimate? 

I know there are many things I could never in a million years get away with saying.  Like "That's Sick."  I know, now, that is the new way to say, "That's so cool."  I would just look like a complete retard if I even attempted to say such a hip phrase.

Raising teens is no easy task, that's the plain truth.  Jaren raised his voice at me this morning for getting on him about being rough with his sister who apparently thought he was done with computer but whoops, I guess he wasn't.  It took me off guard since he's never raised his voice at me like that before.  I'm use to loud voices with Hannah and Isable, but not Jaren.

Jaren's new phrase these days is, "I'm so done with this."  Or "I'm so done with Hannah(insert any name of one of his siblings)".   I thought I had to learn a lot about patience when my children were toddlers.  But I have to practice that even more as they get older.  It's so much more important for me to keep a level head while stumbling through the ups and downs of everyday life with a teenager. 

On the flip side, Jaren is a lot of fun to hang out with.  He's got a great sense of humor and I can usually pull him out of a fowl mood by being the silly goofy Mom.  He bore his testimony in Sacrament meeting on Sunday and it was a moment that I will cherish for a long time.  He spoke of the Faith Walk that the youth had a couple of weeks ago.  As he came around the corner a leader said, "Whose this?  Oh a Wood boy."  He said he thought of something I tell him as he leaves to go hang out with his friends which is, "remember who you are and what you stand for."  He then remembered who he was, and that was a child of God, and a priesthood holder.  He said a few more things and got a little emotional but held it together.  I love Jaren.  He is such a great kid and a good example to his siblings.  I know it's hard to be the oldest and always having to set the example.  I know, I was the oldest too. 


Jaren with his two favorite things:
Ipod and Roman

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Jaren is legitimately too cool for me!