Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day Surprise


Annika next to the flowers she planted.





Isabel taking special care to plant the flowers.



Kelli and Hannah
I couldn't ask for a better sister-in-law!!



The awesome sign we made and staked into the ground.
Is there someone missing?




All the grandkids on the Wood side!



My sister-in-law Kelli approached me about a Mother's Day gift for our Mother-in-law Donna. We both agreed that we wanted to do something to spruce up her yard. I really wanted to surprise her by planting flowers in the front. Tuesday morning we met at Home Depot and picked out some flowers. Wednesday, after the kids got out of school, we loaded the back of the suburban with shovels and tools to get the job done. Jaren had a great time turning the earth with the shovels. He had not interest in actually planting the flowers. He sat in the back of the suburban and insisted on sharpening the paint sticks that we used to drive into the ground to display the sign we made. All the girls were anxious to help plant the flowers. Isabel, especially. First we layed out where we wanted all the flowers to go and then took turns digging and planting. I'd say it was a very successful afternoon. The only cranky gliche was Grace. She'd fallen asleep on the way down and was in a very me, me, I'm not going to share kind of a mood. Thankfully Alleah was in a sharing mood and didn't mind Grace's crankiness or the fact that she was taking all of her toys.

I think Donna was surprised by it all. I just hope Donna gets out there to actually water the flowers. It was a great idea, but now that I think about it. It will take some work on Donna's end to make it a true success. She'll either be thinking wonderful things about her daughters-in-law when she goes out at dusk to water. Or she'll be cursing us when she slowly watches them all die!

2 comments:

Darcy said...

What a fun idea. I bet she loved it!

Jessica said...

Great idea! Looks like everyone had fun. HOpefully donna keeps the flowers alive.