Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Project Veggies

The last few years I have been unsuccessful at gardening. I think that's due to have a little one clinging to me. Which is no excuse by any means. But for me, I can only handle so much. I think I grew a few things in my fabulous square foot garden boxes and yielded  few vegetables and herbs, which was awesome.

This year I took a completely different approach. I involved my children. I really wanted them to get their hands dirty by tilling and turning the dirt themselves. Due to the crazy weather we experienced here, I had to do it when the time was right and that didn't include the kiddos. I did have them pick out their veggie of choice, plant the seeds and water them. I am still somewhat of a nazi so I watered the precious and tender seedlings in the beginning making sure none of them were unearthed by a fountain shooting forth from the hose.

For the past two weeks I've encouraged my children to go out and weed their little mounds, including the surrounding dirt. It's almost to the point where they can water the tender shoots themselves. Almost.

I remember gardening with my parents. I remember my Dad waking me up early on a Saturday morning with his very energetic rendition of the BYU fight song, "SO RISE AND SHOUT THE COUGARS ARE OUT!!". At the time, it was super annoying. Why did we always have to get up and weed. My Dad, the night before, would wet the ground making it easier for us to pull the weeds.  Brilliant.

I'm pretty sure I developed a love of gardening because of my parents. I hope that one of my children finds joy in watching things grow. I also hope my children find a love of vegetables in the process.  It's always so much more fun to eat what you've grown yourself.



Beckham with his pumpkin seeds.



Her arms are just long enough.



Annika and Isabel with their choice of seeds.



Hannah, the master planner.
She's so much like me, it's scary.



Covering the seeds.
Crossing our fingers that the seeds will actually germinate and grow into something fantastic.



Our little pumpkin patch.
I know it doesn't look like much now. But hopefully it will be a sprawling display of white pumpkins, mini's and gigantoids!!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Dad was a morning person, wasn't he? Always so happy! Sometimes I liked working in the yard but mostly I dreaded it. What I wouldn't give for a yard that size for a garden and for my kids! I love that photo of Becks but it does kind of look like he just dropped a poops. Sorry to be so crass (blame it on my current potty training life).

Jessica said...

Love your pumpkin patch!! This is my first year gardening. Just remembered I need to get the pumpkins planted...
Your family is so beautiful and is growing up so quickly. I think I may have seen Jaren on the river trail one morning when I was visiting my parents earlier this month. Keep up the good work being such an awesome Mom! :)