Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hiking and thoughts on a 1/2

The last time we hiked was back in June. I took Annika and Isabel out. Then we had some friends visit from Idaho and didn't want to miss out on the opportunity. Their time here was limited so we actually went on a Sunday morning before church. It made for a crazy morning but it was worth it. We had so much fun.

I haven't hiked since then. I have a really good reason. My sister-in-law called me and asked me to do a half marathon with her. I thought she was crazy and at first said no. I told her that I'd need to think about it and I'd get back with her. I looked at the training schedule and this feeling came over me that I should really go for it.  So, I called her back and told her I'd do it.

While hiking with the Jarvis' I asked Rich a lot of questions about how to train.  They had just ran a 1/2 marathon at Disney World in FL.   He highly encouraged me to do heart rate training.  At first I felt lost and confused when it came to the training.  But as I got out there and did, it just happened.

I've been training for a month now and last Saturday I went for 9.5 miles. The only way I could have accomplished such a feat is with heart rate training.   That, and getting over the notion of having to "run" the whole distance. I say run, cuz running is not what I do. More like a slow jog. But it's gotten me moving and working towards something that I never thought was possible for me.

Hikes have since been neglected.  I miss them, but running has taken priority.  I hope to resume hiking once my 1/2 is over with.  I do miss being in the Mountains.


Yes, we made it!!!
 
Hold on a sec, you've got something on your nose.






Benjamin and Grace.

Beckham, Michael and Grace.


As you can see, I love taking jumping photos.  This is how I think we should feel about life.  Fun, exciting, joyful, and playful.  Although life might not always feel like this, life is generally always good.  I am so grateful for the opportunity to train for a 1/2 marathon.  It's been challenging at times.  But jogging brings back a sense of strength and accomplishment.  Something I've been missing for over a year.  I might not be able to jump like this when I'm done with my 1/2, but I'm sure I'll feel like it on the inside.

2 comments:

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

I think that is awesome that you are training for a 1/2!!! I want to hear more about heart training!! Please fill me in!

Jessica said...

I think you are turbo to train and run a half marathon. I can't imagine doing one!