Sunday, February 14, 2010

Remembering...

The great-grandkids
Mine are on the left, Quanah, Logan and Robin are on the right.



All those that stuck it out in the freazing cold.

Me, Ali, and Keliah


Aunt Sandy and Penny(my mom)



Jaren
Sweet, his hair is getting long again!




Annika
She knows how to stay warm!


Miss Isabel
Always quick to smile



Ali, Aunt Mel, Stephani, and Aunt Gaye




Trying to stay warm



Kegan, Kyle and Steve(they belong to Gaye)




Stephanie trying to keep Beckham warm.




Yesterday, February 13th, was my Grandma Edwards' Birthday. She passed away last year. My Mom decided that she was going to celebrate the life of both my grandparents; Grandpa passed away about 5 years earlier. We began the day at the cemetary. We walked to the grave and then gathered in the gazebo to share our memories of Grandma and Grandpa. Take note: IT WAS FREAZING!!! So cold that my feet started to go numb, as well as my hands and my ears. Despite the cold, everyone willingly shared their fond memories. Many included their sweet driving skills, Grandma's love for chocolate, Grandma always remembering people on special days, their love of cooking, and their love for all in the family. It was a wonderful tribute and I hope we do it year after year. After the cemetary we all retreated to the warmth and comfort of my parent's home. Many had prepared some of Grandma and Grandpa's most favorite foods. Fried Chicken, Egg rolls, beans and ham, red velvet cake, eclairs, rocky road fudge, lemon fluff, lemon mirang pie, and of course, black licorice with a side of chocolate.
It was fantastic to visit with all there. I love family get togethers.
As I was preparing for my Relief Society lesson, it touched a little on the plan of happiness. It mentions how we rejoiced when heard of the plan and how excited we were to come to this earth. A silly thought ran through my head; did we really know and understand everything that we would have to endure? Such as the loss of a loved one, or certain trials with children, spouses, and self. And then there are times, like yesterday when I understand and appreciate that plan a little more. I am so grateful to know that our lives and relationships don't stop here on earth. One day I will be able to thank my grandparents for joining the church and bringing the gospel into our family. Because of their determination to have more for their family, I experience so much joy in mine.
Special thanks needs to go out to my Mom, Gaye and Mel. I know that they did a lot in preparation for this party. Espcially on my Mom's part. This meant a lot to her and I'm glad we had such a great turn out. Thanks to all that came to support. It truly was great to see you all.

3 comments:

Darcy said...

That is a great experience to have with your family and I know that your kids will always remember it. Somehow our lives are never the same when our grandparents leave us.

Jessica said...

Great photos! Looks like there was a pretty good turn out.

Gma said...

Where did that wig come from that I am wearing? Man, what a great time we had. Even though it was cold everyone was just happy to be there to share their stories. Thansk to all.