Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tantalizing Tuesday: Breakfast for Dinner

So much of my life is spent in the kitchen.  I LOVE to cook, create and try new things.  Sometimes the things I create are a huge hit with the family.  Sometimes, I love it and they hate it.  With 8 of us it is very rare that we all love something.

The other night I attempted a baked french toast recipe and it was a hit.  With all but two of the family.  Jaren just plain dislikes anything with egss.  So of course he was not a fan.  Brent wasn't convinced of this either.  But I loved it.  It wasn't too mushy, which I was afraid of.  I do not like soggy bread.  GAG-A-MAG city.   And everyone else loved it too.  In fact,  many had seconds. 



A close-up. 
Yes, that is cinnamon and sugar caramelized to perfection.



All the fixings in the back. 
Along with this delicious main dish, I cooked up some hashbrowns that were golden brown and crisped to perfection.  

Here's the recipe:
1 loaf of french bread cut into 1 inch cubes
8 eggs 2 cups milk wisked with a dash of salt and 1 tsp vanilla
2 Tlb butter melted
Cinnamon and sugar to sprinkle on top(I have this stuff pre-made in my cupboard for cinnamon toast)


1.Prepare a 9x13 baking dish by coating it with butter.  ( we don't want anything sticking!!) 
2. Place bread cubes in prepared dish.
3. Pour over the egg mixture.  With a fork push down all the bread cubes making sure they all get that custard goodness.
4.  Cover with foil and place in fridge for 6 hrs or overnight.  It can stay in there for 36 hours before needing to be baked off. 
5. When ready to bake, pre-heat oven to 350, remove foil and cook for 45 minutes.
6. The last 15 minutes brush the top with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.  


When I cooked this it took longer then 15 minutes to get it to look like it does in the photo.  I think I let it go for another 10 minutes.   You know your oven best.

For a quick sauce I placed a bag of de-frosted strawberries, 1/4 cup of sugar and 2 tbl of strawberry jam in my food process and whirled it till smooth.  My kids LOVED this ontop of the french toast. 




 

1 comment:

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

Yummy! That looks delicious! I will be trying this!