Last night at Enrichment, to celebrate the Relief Society's birthday several women in our ward put on a production of The Ten Virgins. It was a PRODUCTION. It turned out really nice and all the women did an amazing job. And it got me thinking, am I prepared to meet the Bridegroom? Is my lamp full? Do I have reserves of oil in case I run out? What do I have to be doing to keep my lamp full? As I thought about this last night I came to the conclusion that it is through the small and simple things that I can keep my lamp full. It is by reading my scriptures, praying, doing visiting teaching, and striving to keep the spirit in my home. Then I asked myself a hard question, am I doing these things? And the answer would be a disappointing "NO". Then I ask myself the question, Why? I give so many excuses why I'm not: I just had a baby, I'm too tired, there just isn't enough time in the day to read or pray. Then I realized these thoughts don't come from my Heavenly Father, they are from another source who wants me to fail and feel down about myself. From past experience I know that if I will read and pray, everything else seems to fall into place. By small and simple things miracles happen. This morning I opened up my Book of Mormon and read while I fed Grace. And a miracle happened this morning. Isabel and I got along, without a fight. That for me, is a miracle.
I don't want to be one of the 5 that gets left behind because I have to go searching for more oil. I want to be there waiting for Him with my lamp burning brightly. So I can fall at His feet and thank Him for his tender mercies and kindness that he has shown me.
Are you prepared?
5 comments:
I enjoyed this post.
It's good to be reminded about what's important.
And sometimes when we get lost in the everyday of our lives (which IS important on a temporal level), we forget to think about things on an eternal level.
When I first had children and tried to find time to everything that I thought that I should do, someone told me, just remember, there is a time and a season to everything.
And while I know this is true, what I have come to learn is that there are some things in this life that it is ALWAYS the time and the season for, no matter what else is going on in our lives.
And one of those things is scripture reading. If we are not reading our scriptures we are not feeding our souls and not availing ourselves of the strenght and protection that we deserve.
Even if we only read ONE verse, we move forward and we progress, until we get to the time and the season where we can read more.
Obedience brings blessings.
Sorry to go on, I have just really been feeling this topic and it has been a focus right now.
I'm thinking of you.
Thanks for the post Amberlynn! I can totally tell the days that I haven't read my scriptures. I know for me when I read from them it seems like the day goes smoothly, I seem to have more time to get everything accomplished, and I feel at peace. I too can improve in so many many ways. I guess that is why we are here right? Everyday I try to do a little better than the day before. If it means yelling 19 times instead of 20, well great I'm improving. Thanks again for the post, it got me thinking.
Hmm...You're not in my ward are you? :) We had the same enrichment last night.
I feel like you are always a source of oil for my lamps. Thanks sister.
Sugar... You are the best! In writing this post, you have taken your first steps towards finding the time for the spiritual things in your life. A few weeks ago, I was going through stuff and found some blue paperback Books of Mormon. I thought... HMMMM. What could we do with these? Well, I now have one in my car!! Yep. We read together on the ride to school. It takes the stress out of trying to squeeze family scripture study into our morning routine. Jess and Miah take turns reading. Sure, we don't get much more that 5 or 6 verses in each day... but I've heard that even having the Book of Mormon OPEN brings the spirit! Find ways to fill down time with scripture power!! Love you! Rach
Post a Comment