Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Why Me?

Have you ever asked yourself the question or thought to yourself, Why Me? I have been asking myself this question since getting pregnant with Grace. Why does the Lord have so much confidence in me to trust me with 6 of his choice spirits. I never wanted 6 children. Growing up I always imagined myself as a single mother with one daughter living in an apartment. I don't know why this is how I thought my life would turn out. My life couldn't be more opposite of my childhood fantasy. As I thought about this some more, I came to realize that the Lord sends us trials in many shapes and sizes. Some people are tried through not being able to have children, or losing a precious child, or even through miscarriage (or several), or by being ask to have more children then they think they are capable of raising. But the one thing that gives me strength, and is the one thing that got me through having my twins and Grace, is that the Lord knows me. He knows me better then anyone else. He knows my strengths, my weaknesses, and what I am truly capable of. That knowledge gives me the strength to go on each and every day. That is one of the reasons why I feel guilt (thanks BFF guilt) when I neglect to pray. Who better to help me with my trial, then my Heavenly Father. Who better to help me raise these half dozen children then the one person who knows each one of them better then I ever will. It's a good thing He is merciful and forgives us of our shortcomings. Or I would be failing miserably.

4 comments:

Denise said...

Why not you?

You are a pretty great person Amberlyn. And think of all the wonderful things that you will be able to teach your children.

It's true that there are many who stuggle to have children, and that is their trial.

But there are many who have children who don't love them the way that they should or teach them the things that they should know.

So, why not you? You will love them. You will teach them. You will do the best you can.

Isn't that all that can be asked of you?

And how fortunate for your children that they got you. It's probably just what they needed.

Amberlyn said...

Thanks, Denise. I really appreciate all that you've said.

I need to put in a dis-claimer.

I LOVE ALL my Children. Even though it is a struggle for me, I wouldn't trade being their Mom for anything.

And your right, every day all I do is the best that I know how. And if I go to bed with a little bit of guilt, that guilt helps push me to be a better Mom.

Denise said...

I know what you mean. I wasn't a member of the church when I was growing up and I didn't think I'd ever have children...and here I am with six!

I KNOW how much you love your children.

That doesn't mean that there aren't days where we want to run screaming down the road.

Believe, I have to clamp down on that impulse a couple times a week!

Jessica said...

A single mom with one kid in an apartment? I am SO glad your 'fantasy' was never realized. You have a wonderful life and you have carved out a wonderful life for six really blessed and tremendous little people. You are a terrific mom and you are turbo in more ways than I could even articulate in a short comment. You are really lucky to be a mom to six awesome kids.