Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Change... is good

As most of you know I have recently struggled with my calling as a Bear Den Leader. It is the one calling that I never wanted to own. So as I was able to tally off 2 years, I spent a lot of time on my knees trying to find peace and acceptance. Although I did find some peace, I was still ready for something new. Several Sundays ago the Young Women's presidency and Girls Camp Committee was completely redone. I had such a difficult time that Sunday. Again I found myself in the depths of despair. I don't want a big calling, I just wanted something new, a chance to serve in other capacities. I cried in the nursing room wondering what was wrong with me. What was in my character that kept me from getting a new calling? I know that other organizations had requested me, but was turned down. I literally had to leave church. Luckily, Grace was my excuse. She pooped and I had no diapers. As I was driving home many thoughts ran through my mind. The one screaming the loudest was, " Just don't go back. Quit." I really was ready to be done. But I felt worse about those thoughts and feelings then I did about not receiving a new calling. So again, I was forced to my knees, pleading for help and understanding. As I drove back to church, the last place I wanted to be, I gave myself a pep talk. "You can do this." " You are strong, and will endure to the end." After all, that's what I was doing, enduring to the end of my calling. Something amazing happened, as I sat with my primary class, my heart was once again softened. I didn't know when change was going to happen, but to be patient, and just do my best.
Just about 2 weeks ago I received the phone call that I had been hoping for. Bro. Williams came over and released me from Cub Scouts and extended me a new calling.... get ready for it.... drum roll please.... A teacher in Relief Society. This is just what my troubled heart had been praying for. A chance to serve else where, and to immerse myself in the gospel. I am excited for all the things I will re-learn and for the brand spanking new ones that will pop unexpectedly into my head. I am nervous about all the preparation and standing in front of my peers. But my excitement outweighs my fears.

Yay for me.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Indeed. Yay for you! See ya stinky cub scouts. You will be a sincere and thoughtful teacher.

Rachel said...

That just happened to me!!! I was struggling so much with scouts and Primary and now I'm the 2nd counselor in RS!!! You will be an amazing teacher!!! Got any great ideas for enrichments? :) Love you!

Rindee said...

I have to say that when we sustained you in Sac. Mtg. to be the RS teacher, I raised my hand with a BIG smile. I think you will be such a wonderful teacher. I love to hear what you have to say and to learn from your perspective on life. I'm excited that I get to stay in RS this next year to enjoy your lessons!

Denise said...

Good for you for sticking it out and not asking to be released. I know how hard this was for you, and you will be richly blessed.

But I think more importantly, the children you taught will have been blessed by your service, and the impact may not be known for years to come.

Remember, you don't know how much good you are doing, just keep on doing it!

Pike's Place said...

Congrats! I really loved that calling . . . I had it years ago in my student ward. I felt the same as you -- after seven years of primary, I was finally released. Yay! I'm the new RS Secretary now . . . . I, too, am grateful to be serving elsewhere. :)

Sweet Caroline said...

Well, you will be so fantastic. I am proud of you. Wish I could be there when you teach. You have such a wonderful way of speaking. I just quoted you to my sister yesterday. You had said something so wonderful years ago and I apply it to my life all the time...What is it??? Well, without telling people are special little talks back in the day...we will just say it was exactly what I needed to hear...as always!

Jen said...

Hi Amberlyn, I am your Mom's friend Jen - She was at my home tonight for our annual Glacier Girls dinner and she and Keli told me I had to visit your blog and see the video clip of your son "wrestling" with the dog. Oh my heck - that is THE FUNNIEST thing I have seen in a long time! Thanks for the laugh!

I was a Primary President for 3 years and felt incredibly bad every time I had request a name for a new cub scout leader. It is the "red headed step-child" of church callings.
Congratulations on your release and your new calling.