As I was reading Pres. Monson's talk titled Finding Joy in the Journey (which is my first lesson I get to teach next week) he mentions how nothing is more constant in our lives then change. How true this is. My life is different every single day. I am constantly changing the way I discipline my children, my cleaning routine, my exercise routine and so on.
Nothing is more shocking then realizing the change in your children.
The other day as I was talking with my friend Leslie I realized, and it hit my like a ton of bricks, I literally felt my body sway, that I have a son who is going to be in Valiant 12 this next year!! And subsequently will be entering the Young Men. Later on that week I was talking with Leslie again when I mentioned that Isabel and Annika are going to be turning 8 in March, and therefore will be baptized. Whoa, whoa, whoa, when did all this happen? It feels like it happened slowly at first, and then like a speeding bullet.
I also feel as if I am a different Mother then I was when I first started having children. I think of Anne of Green Gables when to leaves for the girls school. Rachel Lind comments on how much Anne has changed. Marilla remarks, " We are the ones that have changed."
Children do that to you. They change you. Help you to become more patient, loving, understanding, forgiving, and the list can go on. My children have changed me. I am grateful for that change and hope that I continue to change and grow.
9 years ago
3 comments:
Life would be so unbelievably boring if there was no change. There would be no gossip: "Holy cow..have you seen so-and-so lately..." There would be no excitement: "Oh my gosh! I think I have fallen in love..." There would be no zest: "Hmmm, I think today I will try the chicken..." It is so fascinating how we all try to avoid change. For example, "Oh...I don't want my baby to grow up." Or, "I don't want to ever be like my mother!" We tend to be drawn to the same people, the same type of movies, the same foods. Is it because there is fear in change? I guess so. Fear of the unexpected, I suppose. I sometimes wonder how my life would be if I never moved to Utah...never moved to the second ward in Utah...never moved to Washington. How many opportunities would have been missed. How much we learn through change. I am guessing you are a better mother than you were years ago. So, I guess we should be glad for change! Whew! That was a fun topic!
It does seem like the older I get, the faster time flies.
The best advice I was given about 5 years ago was to enjoy the journey because it will be over before you know it. This particular advice was given by complete strangers in reference to my four kids under four. I have tried every day since that advice to enjoy each new stage, experience, and change. So much, that I titled my blog "Enjoy the Journey"!
I'm excited for your lesson next Sunday- it's a great topic and a perfect one for your first lesson.
How did your lesson go? I think you'll make an awesome RS teacher. I am sad, too, about how fast my children are growing (especially the baby). One reason I like blogging and taking pictures is to capture special moments in time to savor again and again.
Post a Comment