Monday, February 16, 2009

Is it really that bad?


The other day I read in the newspaper that our economy is on the verge of another depression!!! I mentioned this to a friend in church yesterday and she told me that it could be worse then the first depression and that I had better have my food storage. What? Are you serious?

Have I been living in a bubble called Utah? I know times are tough. But come on. Are they really that bad?

Do I have a year supply of food? No. Do I have a 3 month supply of food? Maybe. Am I prepared for another depression? NO!!! Should I get my butt in gear? I guess I should. Should I be a little bit nervous right now? YES.

I am just flabbergasted that we as a society has let our economy and way of life be threatened. And by what? Power hungry politicians? Money hungry Executives? Have we not learned anything from history people?

This brings to mind the cycle of the Nephites. They start out humble and work hard. The Lord blesses them and become wealthy. They forget the Lord and wealth and power becomes their God. I think this cycle can be applied on many different levels. From a personal level to a much larger one, our own country.

I am a little worried. But I am not scared. I am doing what I should be doing and I know all will be well. This might be an ignorant way to look at life. But it's what gets me through the day.

4 comments:

Sweet Caroline said...

Isn't it funny...I am not scared. I do see a lot of people suffering here. (A LOT of homeless.) So poor, in fact, that they canceled Valentines Day at school because some people can't afford to bring them...

Interesting, huh? Maybe I have been down in the gutter before where I didn't know where we were going to get our next dime--and I survived. With a smile and good attitude...Thank you!

Think positive. Life isn't the challenge, its what we THINK about the situation that makes it a trial.

Hey...it might be fun to live in tents with all the ward members. :)

Randi said...

I think there are a lot of alarmists out there. I keep hearing that the recession will bottom out the middle of this year and then we will start to see a slow upswing. Within 18 months we should be out of it. Although NOONE can predict the future, I don't think it does any good to doom and gloom (not saying that YOU are). My grandparents survived the Great Depression with 6 kids. People lived thru it, yeah times were tough, sacrifices were made, but we all have to know there will be tough times in life and all we can do is our best. Do I think it's the end of the world? Nope. Am I scared? Not really. But yes, I need to get my house in better order. And I think this is a good wake up call to do that, but I also know, whatever comes, it will be ok. It's sad that people are suffering. I think no matter what our circumstances we have all had to make sacrifices and cut back, but I think it's good. Things were out of control and it had to slow down. I think this is just another cycle to keep it all in check. Whenever I hear the "It's going to be another GREAT depression..." I remember those who were certain the world would end with Y2K! Lol! Just my two cents.

Rindee said...

I have mixed feelings about this whole thing. I agree that it maybe times like this that we have been counseled to be prepared. Those who have obeyed will not fear. And if the next depression never comes, it won't hurt a thing to have some food stored away. There is wisdom in being prepared for anything.

On the other hand, I feel like the media is making the economy out to be worse than it is. The only people I know that have lost jobs due to the economy have all been in same work field. Maybe I am in a little bubble of my own. Personally, I feel like things were worse when gas was close to $4.00/gallon. That sure was hard to make ends meet on a fixed budget.
But every radio commercial talks about the "crashing economy" I have to wonder...

It kind of reminds me of in Star Wars where Senator Palpatine creates an emergency need so he can present his solution that would only be considered and accepted in such a state of dire need.

Ryan said...

We wouldn't be in this stupid mess if we'd actually get out and spend money. Why did people stop spending money? Because the media is a fear-monger and wants us to think that the world is coming to an end. Obviously there are some legitimate causes for the economy being so crappy, but ultimately it's the consumers fault that we are where we are because everybody stopped spending money. It's amazing just how powerful fear is. Take Obama for example, he swore up and down that if his spendulus, er, "stimulus" plan didn't pass, then we'd never recover. So much for hope and what about change? It's not change you can believe in, it's "change? You'd better believe it!" Anyway, don't despair, the Lord always provides for His righteous followers. Remember the song, Consider the Lilies. He won't let things get so out of control that they can't be fixed.