My true loves and I just played some games and watched G-Force. I let the kids go and play with friends and then gathered them together at 4pm. I told them our first activity was going to be a surprise. Oh the anticipation of it all. The surprise was hide-and-seek. I hadn't played that in years and thought it would be so much fun to play with the kids. We have three levels and many many places to run and hide. Annika turned to me and asked," Your going to go and hide to?" YES, can you believe it? I had the kids draw numbers to see who would be the first to seek. Isabel was the first one to seek us out. I hid myself in the basement bathroom behind the shower curtain with the lights out. I thought I was being clever. I heard Isabel discover Jaren and then Beckham. Next I heard the bathroom door open, she ripped aside the shower curtain and for extra drama I screamed. Well in the process I scared Isabel's pants off. She immediatly proclaimed " I'm not playing this anymore!!!" She stormed off upstairs to her room and refused to come out. I apologized for scaring her, but it was really funny.
The second go round was Jaren. I hid myself in the coat closet. Annika declared she quit cause she couldn't find a place ot hid. I coaksted her into the closet with me. While I was in the closet I heard Brent come home. Apparently Isabel was hiding under the Christmas Tree which was off limits. She didn't hear that and got into trouble with Brent. I could hear Brent ask where I was all the while still hiding int he coat closet. Isabel came looking for me and opened the coat closet and once again I screamed and she did a quick about face crying into Brent. Brent was chuckling. Annika came out distraught cause I was scaring Isabel. We tried to convince them it was all part of the fun. The kids hid one more time with my turn to seek. I successfuly found all the kids minus Hannah. I had no idea where she was. She ended up hiding in the smallest cupbaord under the kitchen bathroom's sink. CRAZY!! I guess her toe was sticking out in plain site. So funny.
After hide-and-seek I chose to play Phase 10 with the kids. But with a twist. We never get to the last 5 phases so I had them choose a number to mix it up a bit. Well, that went well since the first number drawn was 1. There were many many more meltdown's. Jaren quit 2 or 3 times cause he wasn't drawing the right card. Annika quit a few times, and Beckham quit until I helped him out.
This evening I learned that I need to play more games with my children. They don't understand what it means to have good sportmanship or to be a gracious loser, or to go with the flow when the game changes a little bit. I.E. scary, scream in your face hide-and-seek.
At least we ended on a good note. Watching a movie. We are pros at watching movies.
9 years ago
3 comments:
This is hilarious! Oh how I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at your house. Fun times. I bet in several years the kids will look back on the fact that you played hide and seek and love it. It is usually the things that you expect your parents to do least that you remember when they do it the most.
I can HEAR you screaming in Isabel's face. Oh man. Then Isabel getting in trouble by Brent for being under the tree...what a night. I'm glad you are documenting the details.
I used to play that game at the Ulrich's when I lived with them while going to BYU. Cheryl and I roomed in the basement, which was not completly finished and we would take turns hiding in the dark to scare each other. She was still in high school, and she played along with me. Genny would get so upset with us but that never stopped us scaring each other. We knew what was coming but we jumped and screamed every time. Fun times! I want to play next time.
Post a Comment