Next to go was Hannah, she is the one that I fretted about the most. Last year, the first month of school just about killed the both of us. It was overwhelming for her. Having to juggle early mornings, getting to know 5 individual teachers and the homework they handed out, and trying to live up to friend's expectations resulted in screaming fests at home. For a while there, I thought I'd never be able to stay in the same room with her for an extended period of time. Giving even the appearance of a look on my face would set her off. But, with a lot of prayer, patients, cross country, and time, things finally got better. I helped her curl her hair and she was as happy as a lark. Even though I proclaimed that I would no longer be helping the girls in this department. I made an exception for the very first day of school.
And here she is, Miss Hannah
Such a pretty little thing.
And a huge change from the very first day of school last year.
If I remember correctly, there was a refusal to even give me a smile.
Amazing what 1 year will do for a child.
The other kids were up and ready to go an hour and half before Elementary started. There wasn't too much drama in that department either. Everyone had already picked out their outfits the night before. Everyone was showered and dressed and waiting anxiously to get out the door.
Mr. Beckham.
Displaying the "Wood" smile.
Miss Isabel.
I too, helped her do her hair for the very first day of school.
| My twins. I can finally call them that now. I know they have their own identity and are comfortable with that. |
Miss Annika
Her shinning new clothes gave her great confidence this morning.
Thanks Grandma Penny and Grandpa Rick for your generosity.
Oh the Joy of the first day of school.
Of course, no first day of school is complete with out these two photos.
Grandma Penny
Where do the emotions come in you ask? In addition to relief, I found myself a little bit sad. As I was walking away from the school I realized that none of my children really needed to me drop them off at their classes. Once those doors were open they were off. Confidence reigned supreme. Which is something I should be grateful for, and I am. By all means. I guess it's just a gentle reminder that my children are, year after year, growing independent of me. I am still grateful that I am a stay at home Mom that has the opportunity to walk them that very first day. Maybe, just maybe, that's what gives them their confidence. As I walked back up the catwalk I had to chock back tears. I hoped that I have armed my children with proper principles to help them get through these up and down dog days of life. The house is quiet. Grace is entertained by a new container of playdough and the ever popular Alice in Wonderland movie. Soon, she too will be off to preschool. One can only hope that I wont be too much of a hot mess when that day comes. After all, I've been waiting for this moment for 15 years.
3 comments:
Beautiful kids!
I like their colorful outfits! Big moments like this certainly shake our emotions but thank goodness for confident kids. Well done.
Thank heavens for grandparents.
This was going to be my year too! Alas, my quiet house got postponed SIX more years. Sigh. Tell me again how glad you are you added number 6?
Post a Comment