Thursday, August 16, 2012

The walk to Bridal Veil Falls

I use to call this a hike. But let's be honest, there's nothing about the trail from the parking lot to the falls that screams "hike".  The trail is paved and anyone of any age can take a leisure stroll.   We still love pounding the pavement every year.  The beauty of living near the mountains, even during a hot summer, is the relief of cool mornings.  We still need to wear jackets since we go so early.  It makes me ache for fall and the time when my daily outfit consists of a sweatshirt and jeans.  Soon, sister, soon. 

I forget every year how much I love driving up the canyon and soaking in the grandeur of our Mountains.  It seems the only time I make it up the canyon is to continue this yearly tradition of hiking to the Falls.  Note to self, next year remember to take your kids more often! 

Alleah and Grace still having to watch from the side lines as the older kids brave the cold water and attempt to get as high up the falls before my bum begins to tingle and I yell for them to retreat!!


Jaren, not afraid of anything 
 

Hannah is now officially 13, a teenager.
What the cus? 
If I make it through the next, oh 4 years, it will be a miracle.
 
These cute girls still have their sweet disposition.
Isabel asked me the other day, "Mom, will I act like Hannah when I am her age?  Because I don't want to!!"  Bless you child, bless you.

Group shot.

School begins next week.  I have mixed emotions.  Elation makes the top of my short list.  Another emotion I have is regret.  I regret not doing more fun things with my children.  I regret all the fighting and the reason behind my elation in school starting.  I keep trying to remind myself that kids naturally think of themselves and naturally quarrel, fight, bicker, nag, and murmur. I have a hard time not feeling like a failure as a mother when my children are at each others throats.  Isn't it my job to help them NOT fight.  Isn't it my job to teach them to love and serve one another?  That, my friends,  is easier said then done.  Apparently I haven't done a good enough job at that.  But I hope and pray that I still have time to iron out the wrinkles.  My first and foremost responsibility is to be a mother.  I am committed to do a better job, to pray more for my children, to go to the Temple not just for me, but for them, to have hard conversations, to encourage, and most of all to love them for who they are at this very moment, gnashing teeth and all.

3 comments:

Edwards Fam said...

There are lots of reasons we would love living near those beautiful mountains! And, you are so real, I love reading your blog. Wish we lived closer:)

Sal-my-gal said...

Oh, if only my younger girls had that same goal.

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

Oh man, the fighting, nagging and bickering. I definately won't be missing that! Let me know if you figure out how to get the kids to stop! I could use some advice!!