Isabel and Annika ran into the house and with utter concern on their faces asked me this question, " Did you vote for the Good White Guy, or the Bad Black Guy?" You should have seen Isabel's face, her whole existence was hanging upon my answer. I calmly told them that I voted for McCain, their so called Good Guy. I asked them about "Rock" Obama and why he was the bad guy.
Annika proceeded to describe to me a scene from the Obama home: He comes home and the kids come up to him and he tells them to get lost. So they get lost. The mom is all worried, but he doesn't care about the kids. That's why he would make us go to school in the summer. You would never see us Mom, and you would miss us. I then asked Annika if she has ever been to the Obama home? Well No. But that's what he would do if he became president.
Hannah then comes through the door and tells me information she recieved: If a baby is born and no one wants it they would leave it in the next room and wait for it to die. I asked her where she heard that from and she says, "Mr. B.". That is her 4th grade teacher. OH BOY!!!
It doesn't stop there.
Jaren then tells me what the world is going to be like if Obama is president: Gas prices are going to SOAR and police are going to hunt down people who have guns.
OH MY GOODNESS. I have a lot of damage control this evening. I told the kids that everything was going to be okay. Their lives aren't going to change at all, no matter who is elected President. They didn't believe me. Never have I witnessed so much anxiety from my children. I tried to get out of them where they got their information and from what I gathered it was from other kids.
This is how I gather my information as well. Talk show hosts from the radio and friends around the neighborhood. I understand my children's fears. I am a little frightened as well. I voted for the first time EVER today. I know, it's shameful. But it is what it is. I thought I should be apart of history in the making. So when my grandkids ask me if I voted in the 2008 election I can proudly or shamefully say that I did. Will our lives change if Obama is elected? Many around here fear so.
Through all of the hype, fear, and skeptism I have held tightly to my faith. Knowing that this land was foreordained for a righteous people. The Lord has promised that it will be protected, as long as we are faithful. And yes, I understand that the consitution will hang by a thread. Maybe this is that time. That is why I voted. I felt it was my duty to do my part, however insignifigant it may have felt, I did what was right. I didn't just sit back and watch the events unfold, I was part of the event. As I walked away from my children's elementary school I have to say that I was a little emotional. I thought of the women before me who faught so hard for my right to vote. I am thankful to them, for their fight and our freedom to stand up for what is Right.
9 years ago
9 comments:
ARe you kidding me? Damage control is RiGHT! Your kids have been fed nothing but propaganda based on fear, lack of knowledge about the issues, and blind party rhetoric. I think our country will be fine no matter who is elected because guess what Isabel, Annika, Hannah, and Jaren? WE as a people get to choose who we want leading us. Obama represents a lot that is good and needed for our country. A vote for McCain is basically a vote for Jamie to be deployed. No thanks.
Anyway, I feel badly that your kids were so shaken up. I hope they know everything is okay and that we have a great country full of wonderful people.
Thanks for voting! I wondered if you would!
It really upset me to read that your child’s 4th grade teacher was talking to a 9-10 year old about partial birth abortion. That goes beyond sex education and really should have been run by the parents first. I still have trauma from when my young woman’s leader described to me the atrocities performed on pregnant women during the first Gulf War. I was 12.
One of the things that bothers me the most about politics (possibly due to the importance) is how so much of the information is just “hear say” you heard it from a neighbor who heard it from a friend who knew a guy…I just can’t emphasize enough how important it is to get impartial information, not sound bites from the opposing party. I kind of knew that Obama would be elected and I do wonder if all the fears that are floating around will come to fruition or if he will be a good president that we can be proud of. I hope the later.
I have to say that I was upset to hear that my daughter learned her information from her teacher. It's one of those times when I'm not quite sure what to do. If I should e-mail him and express my disappointment. I did have to explain what an abortion was to my 2 2nd graders, which I didn't want to have to do for years to come.
Interesting. Interesting. Interesting. I believe Christ is intricately involved in this planet, and every event here is a preparation for a grander outcome. You are clearly one of the best moms I have ever known and am confident that your kiddos will be just fine! Interesting story, thanks for sharing!
Amen Jessica!!
Jessica, No deployments mean, terrorists in our land. No thanks to that. I'm grateful my husband served his country and that we have the protection we have. It doesn't come for free or by looking away.
I have so many thoughts on this post and the comments that other's left but I'm afraid of putting my foot into my mouth.
I will say that I will help you get to the bottom of it and find out exactly what happened. If this means we're marching into the school tomorrow- so be it. I am not afraid.
And I do feel like I should back up Leslie's comment as well. Every man I know that serves or has served in the Armed Forces is honored to serve their country. And while getting deployed is hard and stressful on family's- they have all done it willingly and courageously, knowing they are making our home land a safer place.
I really feel that without our troops fighting a war over there, the terrorists would be hitting us hard over here. And I am very grateful to the men and women in the Armed Forces and to the spouses that support them!
I think there are more sustainable ways of keeping terrorists out, which means identifying why terrorism exists (hopelessness, lack of opportunity): diplomacy, sustainable trade, investing in infrastructure (job creation) and education of both boys and girls. I am not naive and I don't think war is the answer here. I am grateful we have intelligence agencies and defense agencies but combined I think they can protect us without keeping soldiers away from their families for long periods of time.
Amberlyn,
You should go talk to the principal about your child's teacher discussing abortion. That is a big No, No. I remember being worried when Clinton was elected, but it was not a big deal. Checks and balances help make our country a great place to live. Democracy lives on. I am looking forward to seeing what good changes Obama can make for our country.
Post a Comment