Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ode to Mom

Penelope Sue with Grace

Yesterday was my Mom's birthday.

I don't think you ever really understand what a mother does or goes through until you become a mother yourself. My Mom was my greatest advocate growing up. She stormed to the school to fight for my injustices. Halls would be cleared by her entering, don't mess with an angry Mama Bear. She approached my Young Women's leaders and told them that if they didn't do something, they would lose me. I grew up with not so nice girls. Growing up my Mom worked 3 jobs. As much as I disliked this, I realize now that it was a sacrifice for her. To help provide and care for our family. She road her bike from Pleasant Grove to Springville everyday so that I could drive the car to Provo High.

My mother sacrificed, provided, nurtured, listened, and above all else, loved me.

Happy Birthday Mom. You are the greatest. How do I thank you for all your years and years of service and sacrifice? Thanks for ALWAYS being there for me!!!

8 comments:

Gma said...

Thanks Amberlyn for reminding me of the fun and important things I have done in behalf of my eldest daughter! I love you and your family tons.

Jessica said...

What a wonderful Ode! And a wonderful Mom! Aren't parents the best? Congratulations on your calling. I know you will be awesome! :)

Jessica said...

Happy birthday indeed.

The Mathews Family said...

Hi Amberlyn-
This is Rachel L's sister-in-law, Jessica. I blog hopped over from Rachel's a little while ago and wanted to leave a comment before I officially became a lurker! I've enjoyed your blog and love your Christmas blanket tradition. You've inspired me! What a sweet tribute to your mom. She sounds like a great person.
-Jessica
P.S. Teaching Relief Society... would officially make me want to quit. Good luck with it, though! You sound like you've got a great attitude going into it. I'm sure you'll be great!

Sweet Caroline said...

Dear Amberlyn's mom:

You raised a wonderful daughter...and I just think she is one of the best moms I have ever known. She obviously learned from the best! Happy Birthday...

Konold's said...

I love your mother! I am trying hard to be happy for her getting this new job - but truth is I will miss her everyday!

The Gwilliam's said...

Hey we got you Christmas card today, your family is so cute! Thanks.We have a blog to you can check out. www.allysongwilliam123.blogspot.com you can check out too. See you Sunday at the Bardsley party!!!

Keli said...

Your mom really is one of a kind...I feel like she has fought some battle with and for me too (at Slate Canyon) She has been there for me through a lot of my adult challenges and I love her...and I know that she loves me too!! She is good at that whole "making you feel loved," thing. Thanks for the ode to Penny she deserve it! :)