Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Dress

This past weekend I had the privilage of attending my cousin Ali's wedding in Logan, Ut. It was a lovely ceremony. I was quickly reminded of my own wedding 14 1/2 years ago. At the time of my wedding Ali was just 6 years old and wore a special dress for my reception.


The women who've worn the dress.


Left: Penelpe(My Mom), Moi
Middle: Melody(My Mom's sister), Ali(the new bride)
Right: Sandy(Another of my Mom's sisters), Cara(Melody's daughter and Ali's sister)

When Ali finally excited the Temple I was surprised to see her wearing Grandma's dress. The same exact dress that I wore on my wedding day. Many women in our family have worn this dress. First was Sandy, then my own mother Penny, then Mel. The dress was quietly tucked away for many many years until I became engaged. I was a bit more busty then my mother and aunts. We had the dress altered to fit my full figure. Then my cousin Cara(in the polka dot dress) was married 18 months ago and wore the same dress. And now, Ali, Cara's sister wore the dress on Saturday. Did you get all that?

As we gathered around to prepare for photos Brent finaly recognized the dress and asked if it was the same one. I told him, Yes. Brent, "But that stuff on the top is new, right?". Me, "No, it's the same." Brent, "But they added the bows though?". Me, "No, the bows were there."

When I wore the dress it was 54 years old. When Ali wore it, it aged 14 more years making it 68 yrs old. Hannah asked if she could wear the dress when she got married. I told her by then it'd be over 80 years old and a true antique. But what is stopping her from wearing the dress?

I have to confess that one thing I missed about getting married was the "hunt" for that one perfect dress. Many people who came through my line thought it was amazing and romantic. I do feel privilaged to be apart of something with so much history.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Uh..we would like to see a picture of you in it please!!!

Sal-my-gal said...

That is a sweet story. I kind of missed the hunt too. I found a picture of my wedding dress in a magazine when I was a sophomore in high school. I tore it out and saved it. The summer after my junior year my mom surprised me with it. No fiance, my best friend's mom owns a bridal store and told my mom it was being discontinued, so they were sneaky and ordered it! Good thing since I ended up using it a year and a half later : )

Jessica said...

It is such a beautiful dress but man did it look fugly on me!

Gma said...

Thanks for posting the picture of us. It is fun to see and amazing that we all wore the dress and looked beautiful in it. I must admit with Jessica, it did not work for her.

Cara said...

I love that Brent recognized the dress, but didn't really recognize the dress. I am so glad that we were all there for this wedding so that we could get a picture all together!

Sandy said...

thanks Amberlyn