Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Vampires and Undead

This year I decided to make carving pumpkins a bit easier on myself. Instead of tediously helping my children prick the flesh of 6 pumpkins to then tediously cut out small shapes to form intricate characters, we made vampires and undead.  Depending on their desired creature, all they had to do was cut out circles or ovals.  Soooo much easier.  The result was FUN.  And it didn't cost me but $1.  The pumpkins we grew in the back yard.  The eye balls I made out of ping pong balls.  The idea I got from Martha Stewart.  Jaren was the only to come up with a pattern all his own.  He was excited with his "slender man" pumpkin. 

Our Vampires and Undead sitting next delicate Disney Designs.


All lit up!




Carving with Cousins


Baby Elsie
Too cute not to take a picture of.  Elsie was really fussy when we began to finally carve.  When I was done helping my kids I took her from Kelli to see if I could help her.  Brent usually is the one to whisper to her and get her to go to sleep.  Well, I guess I still have a bit of magic left in my mothering arms cuz I was successful in getting her to fall asleep too.  I rocked her and we sat for a good while.  I missed being able to rock my own babies.  I felt no pangs to have another.  I felt comfort in knowing that my family is complete. 


My stackables with their stackables.


So proud

 
Hannah's Three Eyed Vampire Zombie
In true Hannah style, has to add some kind of disgusting gory touch

Beckham getting his finger eaten by his undead

This year we carved pumpkins at Mike and Donna's.  I made a cheddar broccoli soup to contribute to dinner.  I wondered why I was bringing anything since I knew everyone would go for Donna's home made chicken noodle soup.  Well, I was right, they all had Grandma's soup.  But my cheddar broccoli soup was actually really good this time.  So good in fact that I think Mike had at least 4 bowl fulls.  He came into the living and declared, "Amberlyn, did I tell you how outstanding your soup is?"  I laughed and said no.  

If any year snuck up on me and caught me by surprise, it's this year.  I feel so unprepared for all the traditions that take place this time of year.  I feel the pressure to make sure that my children feel gratitude during Thanksgiving, and to feel of the spirit of Christ and love during Christmas.  I felt as though last year lacked some how.  I feel as though I need to make up for that.  I need to lose myself in serving my family.  I am still caught up in my own very personal, very real struggles.  I think I need to start focusing elsewhere.  I know I mentioned this a few months ago.  But really putting it into action is different then just proclaiming it.  

My holidays will be what I make them out to be. 

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I hate missing these traditions but you guys did a great job! I love the pumpkins. Great idea!! Miss you!

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

The pumpkins look great and I am sure your broccoli cheddar soup was delicious! I would have went for that kind! :)