Tuesday, May 28, 2013

UP

A few weeks ago Grace wanted to watch Disney/Pixar's UP.  There are several reasons why I love this movie.  One, Mr. Fredericksen looks just like my Grandpa Edwards.  Memories of my Grandfather flood my mind when I watch this movie.  I love that. Two, the hero of the movie is an OLD MAN!  That is awesome.

Most of the time when a movie is on I only catch glimses.  Come on, I'm off doing other things like chores and Mom stuff.  The part that I absorbed this time was towards the end.  Mr. Fredericksen has had it with all the things getting in his way of Paradise Falls.  Russell, Kevin, and Doug just to name a few.  As he sits down in his chair he pulls out his wife's book of adventures.  At first he thinks it hasn't gone past when she was a youth.  But as the page slides open, he sees that she has scrapped the adventure of their life together.  Mr. Fredericksen then realizes what is most important.  And Paradise Falls isn't it.

To get to Russell, Kevin and Doug,  Mr. Fredricksen starts dumping all the un-important items from his home so the remaing balloons can take his house UP.  What a metaphor for life:

Once I realized that my children were the most important thing to me, and not an obstacle, I started letting go of all the un-important things.  Like being obsessed with the perfect body, the perfect house, becoming like the neighbor who I thought was perfect.  I started focusing on those things that bring me UP.  Like the gospel of Jesus Christ, reading scriptures with my children - No Matter What, having regular FHE, talking lovingly about their Dad, encouraging them to serve and pray for one another. 

What a beautiful message.

In the end of the movie Mr. Fredericksen helps save Kevin, adopts Doug, brings Russell home and is there to award him is medal.  The the best part, they sit on the street corner, eat ice cream and count the cars.  Like Russell recalled, it's the simple things that matter most. 

As mundane as motherhood is, it's the simple things that I hope my kids remember most.  That I helped them do their hair in the morning for school, that I made sure they had a good breakfast, that we laugh at Dad when he tells us his bits of wisdom as we gather for evening prayer,  those times when Dad would blare his music as Mom is trying to put everyone to bed and it turns into a huge dance party.

If you haven't watched UP in a while, you should.

 

3 comments:

The Path Traveled said...

My granddaughter loved the movie. Loved today's post.

Kelli said...

Where is the like button. LIKE, LIKE, LIKE!!! Thank you for sharing. UP is a great movie! I usually cannot get through it without a tear or two.

I love that you shared that Brent shares stuff as you gather for family prayer. He must get that from Donna. He better not tease her any more now that I know that.

Jessica said...

I like this and I love anything that makes you feel more confident and grateful as a mother. Thanks for the inspiring message!