9 years ago
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Grace in Abstract
I use to always think it cliche when people would say things like "time goes by so quickly", or "kids grow so fast." At the time I had 4 small children. All under the age of 3. I was in a whirlwind of changing diapers (I had three in them), feeding, nap time, bedtime, bath time. Even in the thick of all of that, time went by slower then a snail. I couldn't wait for a time when Isabel and Annika could walk or even communicate to me exactly what it was that they needed. Before I even knew it, time sped by faster then a speeding bullet. After this summer I will have a 5th, 4th, 2 second graders and one in preschool. And now it's my turn to ask, " Where did the time go?"
I look at this baby of mine and relish the time that I have with her. I am in awe of her soft pudgy cheeks. I don't remember my other babies cheeks being so chubby. I am amazed at how squishy and jiggly her thighs and tummy are. Were my other babies like this too? I am worn out by her wiggling ever moving body. A tiny body filled with a giant spirit just waiting to burst forth and exclaim to the world who she is. I'm confident that my other babies were just like her. I have the pictures to prove it. But I regret to say that I just don't remember. Time moved so quickly, and I was so busy just trying to survive. My sister asks me questions every now and then about my twins, to compare to hers. I simply have to reply, " I just don't remember."
That time is lost now. But I have the present to live in. After all, isn't it in the little things that we truly find joy? It's not in Book Club, or preparing for Girls' Camp, or any of my church callings. Although these things help to define who I am. They don't truly make me happy. Sitting down with my children to read a book, or to color, or to teach them how to cook. These things bring me joy.
I am thankful the Lord sent me Grace. She is the strongest reminder to me to slow down and remember the "little" things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Grace looks so much like Aunt Candy in those shots--maybe it is the nose? She's sweet and I am happy that she is helping you appreciate your time as a mother. The kids will be out the house in no time. I already lament the departure of Asher and Soren.
I have made a goal to try and live every day like it is my last. It helps me put things in perspective of what is really important. I love Grace's chubby cheeks and her new fuzz!
I love those pictures and will miss that little face while I am gone. Be sure to visit with gma.
Post a Comment