This evening after all the kids were tucked in bed Isabel quietly crept back into my room. Normally I would shoo her back to bed. After all, a Mom needs some time to herself to wind down from a busy day being a referee. I stopped myself and calmly asked her what it was she needed. She asked me this question, " Mom, what is your favorite thing about being a Mom? " I sat for a moment and thought "oh gosh, where do I begin." That is such a broad question that involves so many things. Isabel answered the question for me, " I think you love to cook." I agreed with her, yes I love to cook meals for my children. The questions didn't stop there:
Isabel: What was your favorite thing to do as a Kid?
me: I loved going outside in the grass and looking up into the sky
Isabel: What was your favorite thing to do when you were Beckham's age?
me: I don't remember much when I was Beckham's age.
Isabel: I bet you liked to play with Barbies.
me: Yes, your probably right. I do remember liking to play with Barbies.
Isabel: When I'm a Mom I think my favorite thing to do will be to shop.
me: For grocheries or for clothes?
Isabel: Grocheries
Isabel: Ummm, I think my favorite thing to do when I am 10 is to have late overs.
The questioning stops. Or I thought it did. She came in one more time, " Mom, can we do something together tomorrow?" My sweet Isabel. I needed that reminder that inside her Hurricane of a personality there is the eye of the storm. Calm, clear, and awe inspiring.
Her questions got me thinking. What were some of my favorite things as a child? Watching my parents grow a garden. My Dad mowing the lawn and having to rake up all that grass. But also getting to jump in the huge pile afterwards. And regretting doing so. My body always itched from the freshly cut grass. I loved the smell of the fresh cut grass. That will always be one of my most favorite smells. Another of my favorite things to do was to ride my bike around Bro. Batty's house. Going to work at BYU concessions with my Mom. Smelling the hot dogs being cooked and always the pickles and onions that went along with them. Riding in a cardboard box down the steep grassy hill just outside the entrance. These are just a few of my favorite things, as a child.
Of course her question also got me thinking about what it is that I love about being a mother. What do I love about being a mother? The quiet that proceeds a long, busy, noisy summer day? Yes. But that almost makes it sound like I don't enjoy motherhood. I love it when my children work alongside me anywhere in the house. I love teaching them simple task that will get them through life. I love doing my girls' hair, even though this is one thing that they loath. I love holding my wiggly, jiggly, bouncy baby Grace. I love her smile when she sees me walk into the room. Grace looks past all my weaknesses and imperfections and sees me as the Savior would. I love hearing my children tell me that they missed me while they were gone. I love joking around and making my children smile because I am making a fool out of myself. These are a few of my favorite things, as a mother.
9 years ago
6 comments:
What a sweet little Isabel! These must be the best moments of parenthood!!
I love this post because I love your honesty and I love Isabel for asking such sweet questions. How cute that she snuck into your room to get to know YOU better. She's certainly curious and probably had those questions brewing in her head all day. I like that she answered for you that cooking was what you liked best about being a mom. I love that she is going to love grocery shopping when she is a mom. I think you beautifully articulated what it is you enjoy about motherhood. I think you really are teaching your kids 'life skills.' Love you!
What a beautiful blog. That Isabel will never let you down with her iquiries and interest in life and the love for life. Aunt Melodie loves your blogs and wants you to do them forever. She also thinks that Grace is the most beautiful baby in the world,
I loved your post! It got me thinking too about those things of my youth and about motherhood. I thought about just taking the time to talk to my children. It seems that sometimes I feel so overwhelmed with the world that I forget to stop and just enjoy each moment. Thanks for you thoughts!
That is the BEST story. I hope Slade wants to spend time with me when he has a choice someday too! This was a beautiful post- made my day!
You are amazing. Your posts like this always help me to re-evaluate how I am doing as a mom, and usually it's not as good as I could be doing. Thanks for being a great mom and a great friend.
Post a Comment