For Family Home Evening the kids and I finally got Brent to concede to a hike. It was so much fun. We drove up Diamond Fork Canyon to a small, but treacherous, hike. Not only was the hike fun, but the drive was stunning. Due to the persistent rains the mountains were beyond green. I had never experienced such a wide range of greens and textures and colors. The roadside was full of blues, purples and yellows. It was amazing.
I hope I remembered the name correctly, Red Cliffs. I held Grace on my hip and went up and down those sandy, steep trails. Annika always wanted to lead and run up ahead. Jaren was the mother hen was concerned about everyone being safe. Hannah was the adventurous one and always wanted to go where Brent was going despite warnings to stay put. At one point the kids got to repel down the side of a slick rock. I was going to take a picture but the kids needed assistance at the bottom.
During the hike I felt a longing and an ache to visit other destination in Utah. I thought back to my youth and all the fun hikes I took in Arches, Bryce Canyon, Goblin Valley, and Calf Creek, Capitol Reef, just to name a few. Utah has such a great landscape. We are so close to so many different State and National Parks. I told Brent my ache to go on more hikes. His response, "Keep on aching." Sigh.
I realize that it is a lot of work to go camping and to take 6 kids hiking. But I know they would have so much fun and build the same memories as I have. I will keep chipping away at Brent and one of these days maybe he'll cave. And if I have to, I might just go it alone. It's that important to me.
I didn't want our evening hike to come to an end. I could have kept on going. I hope to have more moments like this this summer.
5 comments:
What a beautiful hike! I am glad you got to go!! No doubt about it your kids will have wonderful memories. Your a great mom and I love pictures when all half a dozen are in tow!! Your awesome!
Thank you for a new post! What a stunning hike! I hope you don't have to go by yourself on future hikes, it's important for the WHOLE family to be together. I love that your kids enjoy being outside. You are blessed to be such an inspiring mom and to have such tremendous children. Oh, and you live in such a glorious state!
Come with us to Family Camp next year. We had three Moms without husbands. We all pitch in to help.
How fun I love Diamond Fork Canyon. I am sure that you got a great workout that day dragging along six kids!
I'm like you- I LOVE hiking. I could hike and hike and hike- but, luckily, my hubby likes it too. A few years ago, Ben and I decided to hike one major mountain every year. Now that we're in Mexico, I don't know if that will happen (lots of crazy people grow drugs in these mountains)- but I will miss it!
Post a Comment