Thursday, August 27, 2009

Kindergarten? Really?

Brent, Beckham and Me.
Brent hasn't miss a first day of Kindergarten.


Grandma Penny hasn't missed a first day of school.


Beckham, isn't he handsome?


Brent with Beckham at his seat.


Brent has been working in Bountiful. It's about an hour and half drive from Spanish Fork. Brent informed me the day before that he'd be up there again the day Kindergarten started. Well, it's tradition that Brent walks our kids to school their very first day of Kindergarten. I knew this would make a super long day for Brent. Since he'd have to drive up in the morning, drive back down, back up to Bountiful, and back down again to return home. I encouraged him not to do this, that's just a lot of driving. Brent talked with Beckham about it and he decided that he wanted his Dad here. So, Brent did the right thing, which was the hard thing, and drove down from Bountiful. That is one devoted, dedicated Dad.



Wednesday was the day that Beckham started Kindergarten. It was filled with a lot of mixed emotions. Excitement for Beckham to be starting school, and one step closer to me being home alone. Home alone means I'm getting older, my kids are getting older and I'm having to let go of them. Those emotions are always a little hard to deal with. I always thought it was going to be easy to send them off to school when I was in the middle of small children and a chaotic household. Okay, so my household is still chaotic, but in a different way. I'm finding it's not so easy. I had to hold back tears, after all he is my second to last. But I've done this before, many times. I know the routine, life continues to go on and children slowly grow away from you. Which is part of life. They have to. How else would they be able to function on their own when the "umbilical cord" is finally and permanently cut. Still, armed with that knowledge, it doesn't get any easier. I wonder if I taught him well. If he's confident enough to stand on his own, to make new friends. I wonder how school is going to change my sweet baby Beckham. Life is scary, I'm glad they start out in Kindergarten.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Yeah for these pictures. I have been checking your blog thousands to times waiting to see Beckham's first day of Kindergarten pictures. It is hard for me to believe that he is old enough to go to school. I hope it is a wonderful experience for him.

Konold's said...

If you want the ball to bounce, you have to let it go. :)

Jessica said...

This post made me tear up. I too can't believe that baby Becks is in school now! I bet he was thrilled. He is a very special person and people are drawn to him. I am confident that school will be a marvelous experience for him and that he will be a good friend and a good example. No why? Because YOU are his mom. Good for Brent to make that long drive for his baby boy!