Saturday, January 2, 2010

Saturday Side by Side

Saturday is a special day... It's the day we get ready for Sunday. And the day that the kids and I clean and clean and clean. I've always wanted to be a Mom that works side by side with my children. I want my kids to know that work is important and doing your best at what your asked to do is important too. As I went around checking on all my kids I found that I helped each of them in their different task. Yet, I was frustrated that they STILL did not know how to do certain task. I'm pretty darn sure I've taught them how to do it. At what point do kids just know how to clean? Then the thought when through my mind; even if I am right there, intervening, they'll watch me and eventually learn. Right? I mean, that's how animals learn in the wild. They watch their Mom's search for food, hunt, make the kill, how to socialize. Our kids aren't much different. At some point I would love to have my kids just go to a room and clean it from start to finish without me having to intervene. Honestly, I don't know when that time will come. I hope in the process I'm not hurting them by helping them do their jobs. I really do hope that they learn by me working right along side them, by example. I'll cross my fingers.

Sometimes it's just easier to do a job by myself. A lot less stressful and complaint free. But if I do that I'll end up with lazy, good for nothing children who will grow up being a burden to society. So I will keep trudging along, asking my kids to do their chores, pushing through the complaints and the fighting, and helping them acheive their accomplishments. Isn't that what we're suppose to do as Mom's?

4 comments:

Gma said...

Well that is the conundrum...I just closed your doors when you were teens, wala, the house was clean! But apparently you learned to clean! So be patient and see how they do as parents! Love Ya

Angie said...

Sounds REALLY familiar...it's quite the journey. :)

Sal-my-gal said...

So true! So hard to do though. I'm not very good at it.

Jessica said...

Your kids are learning from you--they are just selective in the showing of it.