Thursday, November 11, 2010

The rest of Halloween, Almost

Several years ago I tried starting a tradition titled: Spooks and Soups. It was to get the Grandparents to come to us by bribing them with dinner. Some years it turns out, and others it doesn't. It was just too hard shuffling the kids from city to city, in and out, in and out, and missing out on the full trick-or-treating experience. This way the Grandparents get to see the kids dressed up and get to go around the block with them. I love it, and hope the kids and Grandparents do too.

This year we once again missed Grandma Penny and Grandpa Rick.  Grandma was in Virginia visiting my very pregnant sister and her family. We missed them both!


My attempt at making a fun decorative table.  I made a treat with popcorn, pretzels, marshmellows covered in melted white chocolate.  It was good!  More sugar cookies baked and decorated by Hannah and her friends.  For dinner I made Chicken Tortilla soup and a Roasted Butternut/Acorn Squash Soup.  I colored sour cream with black food coloring which turned it gray which in turn turned all the soups into a not-so-pleasing muted color.  I wont be doing that again.  It was a fun idea.



All the kids in their costumes.  I usually get a photo out front in front of our lone tree.  The weather was not cooperating and wouldn't allow for that tradition to take place this year.
Don't they look good though?





All those who attended, minus Brent who insisted I be in the photo.  GAG!



Jaren my Zombie.  This was his LAST year trick-or-treating.  It all has to come to an end sometime.  In talking with other parents I felt once they turn 13, the dreaded teen years, it is time to stop.  That just means I have to be a fun Mom and throw Halloween Parties or something? 



Hannah, the Fire Human Monster.  I still can't get over her stunning blue eyes.  
She's almost cracking a smile here.



Some of the finished carved pumpkins.
Hannah carved two.
Grandma always makes sure she carves one too.



Sean, the single o-so-cool bachelor, hung around to participate too.
I think he's trying to show off his biceps more then his pumpkin!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Your kids costumes were great, and Hannah's eyes are beautiful! Watch out Mom!!! :)

Jessica said...

I love your tablescape! What a fun dinner. You do such a great job with Halloween make-up. Love those kids.