Despite all my heart ache I really love how it turned out. I finished it in the nick of time to lay out on the 1st of December.
This year I changed it up a bit. Instead of me rotating the quilt every day I've turned that over to the kids. They get to choose a member of the family to serve and the recipient of the service also gets the quilt. So far, its a bust. I did the first act of service which was to make jaren's bed and clean up his floor. He struggles with this and so I knew it would be a good choice. Jaren struggled to find a really good service so he just made his Brother's bed. Beckham didn't want to serve cuz he'd rather play on the computer. I know your not suppose to use guilt, but it's the only way I could motivate the kid to get going this morning. He ended up cleaning up Annika's floor and writing her a note. It's like pulling teeth to get these kids to serve one another.
Another example of my best efforts blowing up in my face. Ugh! Hannah thinks there should be more thought put into the acts of service. I completely agree with her. I guess this is where my lack of communication comes into play. I think I explain things in lamen terms, but somehow my point never gets across. It's only been two days. Hopefully things will get better and the kids will get more creative.
Without further adou, This Year's Christmas Quilt:
It's always fun to lay out the Christmas quilt the first day.
This year my Mom also made all the kids Christmas pillowcases and a Tree skirt. So fun. Pictures to come.
Just for the sake of posterity I have to record what went on the first night. We were all gathered around and somehow the conversation turned to wieners. I'm not talking about the hot dog type either. Leave it to my husband to talk about wieners, he is definitely his father's son!! This same husband had the bright idea to put the dog up on the top bunk. He thought this would just be hilarious. I told him not to. That idea is not the most brilliant one in the book. He did it anyway. He was on a roll. I asked him what he would do if the dog decided to jump. Catch him of course. What ever shaking my head and rolling my eyes. Roman, our cocker spaial just layed there a few minutes wagging his tail until he had enough. He decided to jump down. Guess who WASN'T there to catch him. Brent just watched him jump. The poor thing hit his head hard on the ground. He stood up, moved really slowly, and proceeded to lose all balance. Brent cries, "Oh CRAP!!" And I exclaim, " I TOLD YOU NOT TO DO THAT!!" Brent guides the dizzy dog to his bed, gets him to lay down and pets him into calmness. Why does it feel like I'm raising 7 kids and not just 6?
Quilts of Christmas Past:
Quilt 1: 2006
Quilt 2: 2007
Quilt 3: 2008
Quilt 4: 2009
6 comments:
Beautiful, Amberlyn! Someday I want to do that tradition.
All your quilts are amazing, but I have to say this years my favorite! LOVE LOVE LOVE those colors and patterns! Beautiful work!
WOW. Its hard to believe its been that many years of quilts already. They all look great. I like this years colors best.
Beautiful! What a great tradition!
These are amazing!
Beautiful!
I tried to institute the "Secret Sister Service" in Nov. with our kids. I had badges, a swearing in ceremony, calling cards for them to leave... it lasted a day or two. Sigh...
Post a Comment