Friday, July 18, 2008

Backfiring Happens

Today in an attempt to make our Friday fun without Grandma being out of town I took the kids to the dollar theater to see Horton Hears a Who. Before departing on our adventure I took the kids to Macy's to pick out some candy to enjoy during the Movie. After all theater food is so ridiculously priced. All 5 kids successfully picked out their candy. Although Isabel picked a box that was a bit more expensive then the others and there were exclamations of unfairness. I shuttled them through the checkout line and we were off.
Thank Heavens for the dollar theater. I think we were 1 of just 3 families in the entire theater. Before entering the theater I tried to strategically tell my children to not mention their candy until we were seated. Of course Isabel was just so excited that she couldn't help but ask several times for her treat. Thankfully no candy was confiscated, it was deeply hidden inside the diaper bag. Memories of my sisters butter cups being taken from her ran through my mind. I couldn't help myself and ended up purchasing popcorn and two drinks. There in was my mistake. Before the movie even started fights broke out over the drink, and who was in charge of it. This fight was fought mostly between Isabel and Hannah. We got a bottomless tub of popcorn. Due to the fact that Grace started out in her carseat I had to sit on the outside to monitor her. That left the other 5 duking it out for the popcorn bin. Jaren, bless his 10 year old heart, waited patiently for his turn. When it was his turn to hold the popcorn Hannah went berserk complaining that he alone was going to eat the rest of the tub. Thankfully the movie finally started. Then the candy was passed out and before the first 15 minutes of the movie was over, the drinks were bone dry. I had to constantly tell Isabel to sit still, she enjoyed riding her seat up and down, and dealt with Beckham moving past his 3 sisters to get to my ice. Deep Breath. The kids, I think, enjoyed the movie.
I should have just stopped there but since we were in Provo and the way gas prices are I thought we could make the most of our trip. I suggested we go to BYU campus and walk around this small trail that I use to take Jaren and Hannah as babies. This is when the complaints really started to fly. At first they really enjoyed it, but then Isabel was miserable because all we were doing was walking, walking, walking. So we headed to the Museum of People and Cultures. That place is as big as my bedroom so there wasn't much to see. Beckham screamed he didn't want to leave so I suggested we go to the Bean Museum. Then it was Jaren's turn to complain. "I'm tired of going to that museum. They never change their exhibits and they don't have anything about snakes or sharks. " Blah blah blah blah, blech. So I drove everyone home. Beckham bit Annika and Annika complained that no one loved her and everyone loved Beckham better. Serenity now, Serenity now.
After some pizza filling their bellies and Harry Potter quiting their mouths, I am enjoying a little quiet time. It's not so quiet since my ears are still ringing. Why is it when you try to go and enjoy a day with your children it has to backfire with fighting and complaining and whining? I hope they remember the fun we actually had.

6 comments:

Zach and Sarah said...

Amberlyn, I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. SOOOOOOOOOOOO glad it happens to other people, too.

Crazy Lady said...

I too am glad to here this happens to other people. A little trick we learned is that you can ask for several pickle bags at the theater. They are the perfect sized to fill with popcorn for each individual child. And here is the important part, ALL CHILDREN MUST USE A PICKLE BAG, NO ONE GETS THE BIG BAG BUT MOM.
the pickle bags are free and it saves fighting over who holds the bag. It is also good to measure who is hogging down the bag. Two pickle bags full and you have had enough. Notice, no one is measuring what mom eats though, I like that part.

Amberlyn said...

Thank you soooo much for the great tip!!! I will use this clever strategy the next time I take my kids to the dollar show.

Elisabeth Taylor said...

Oh geez- that sounds JUST like the family movie nights we had...even down to sneaking the candy in the theater. My best friend and I once snuck a WHOLE pizza and on another occassion a WHOLE footlong sub into the theater. I remember my mom gettin busted for a steaming bag of popcorn. Mark asks me if I think I'm being honest when I sneak candy into the theater on the rare occasion that we go these days...but he sure doesn't mind eatin it! :) LOVE this post you poor woman!!! I only have ONE child so far and man oh man do I appreciate all the work that my mom put into getting me raised!

Brooke said...

You are a saint!!

Jessica said...

LOVE this story! I felt like I was in the theater with you. I'm still traumatized from having my reeces peanut butter cups confiscated--who would do that? Who would snatch them from a kid? Why didn't that jerk just talk to my parent? ugh.

Hey, when you live with five other siblings, treats are a VERY coveted resource and injustice is easily experienced.

You are such a great mom.