I realize that it is the 21st century. There is some amazing technology that I just couldn't live without. I.E. the computer which is a vehicle for blogging and e-mail. Cell phones so my children can get a hold of me in case of emergency. I'm sure some day in the future I will be just as attached to my cell phone as I find my husband or friends. For now, it's just there. I jump almost any time it rings since it rings hardly ever. I just don't get this whole texting thing. Yes, I realize it's very convenient. But it's also disruptive, time consuming, distracting, and is taking away from simple communication skills. I find that because I don't have texting I miss out on a lot of communication that happens between my family. Which plain sucks. But I guess the phone goes both ways. I've just never been much of a phone person. To keep in touch I guess I'll just have to make a greater effort to phone my brothers, my mom and my Dad.
Here and now as a mother I am taking a stand against texting. I don't want my children to become immune to the feelings of having to say difficult things to people. And difficult has many different faces. "No I can't come to your party." " You know, what you said really hurt my feelings." " You did a great job!" Texting takes away fear, anticipation, excitment, worry, and a whole bunch of other adjectives! Which leads to saying things would never dream of saying in person. I want my children to know what it feels like to actually verbalize their feelings and emotions. I know that this will be a huge fight. At some point my children will have cell phones, but I'm going to prolong that as much as possible. And when they do get cell phones they wont be able to text. Their friends will actually have to call and talk to them.
Remember the days before caller i.d.? When the phone would ring and your hands would sweat and your heart would race wondering if it was that certain boy. For some reason the phone would take on a whole new ring. Sometimes you could just feel it. And then when you heard that voice, the heart would race even more almost pounding right out of your chest and maybe you'd forget how to even say the simplest of sentences. Oh, those were the days. It's sad that my kids will never experience that.
9 years ago
7 comments:
Texting has it's pros and cons. I actually really like it. My husband and I text all the time! But I can see your point too. I think some kids are going to grow up not knowing how to carry a conversation. Crazy world we live in!
Amen Sister! I agree totally. I don't get the whole texting thing. I have never sent a text and would not even know how if my life depended on it. I know that I too miss out on some communication with my family because they all text, but oh well. They can call me. That way I can hear there voice and actually hold a conversation with them. We can make a stand against texting together!
Oh my goodness -- I do remember that heart-racing experience. It was a doozy, wasn't it? Love it--but I also love that I don't have to pick up the phone b/c my caller i.d. tells me it's a telemarketer. It definitely goes both ways, doesn't it?
I'm with you. People are loosing communication skills. I see it on facebook too. We've told our kids they can't have cell phones until they can pay for them themselves. And yet I find them terribly convenient too, but I'm so not in to texting. Time consuming...
I agree that it has pros and cons. I actually LOVE texting. I think it's fun to fire off a quick message to Dave when I can't actually talk on the phone, or he. But I am an adult and I know the proper etiquette when it comes to texting and I would never use it as a vehicle to speak my mind. On the other hand, my niece spent half her Christmas break texting- ridiculous. But she's not my child. My stand is, eventually my kids are going to grow up, move out of my house and do what they want to anyway. I can't keep them away from everything the rest of their lives. I can only teach them how to be functional, mannered, conversational people and the rest is up to them. I don't necessarially think that means banning everything: TV, Video Games, cell phones, etc. In my opinion, I have learned you can never say never and I figure they have to learn moderation and self-control in the face of temptations now.
We have to adapt to a new world and one that become increasingly bizarre--especially when compared to the context of our formative years. I think you just have to KNOW your kids and pray for them and teach them the best you can. If you think a certain kind of conversation or style of communication is critical, then teach them. They may continue still text, because that is the norm, but they will also be polite and well mannered in person. We have to hope for this and believe in this.
Love texting... but understand your concerns. Any new technology can be used inappropriately.
Post a Comment