Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Mother of a Teen; AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

Well, it finally happened.  My first born turned 13 on the 28th of November.  Making him a teenager and me the mother of a teen.  Allow me to reminisce for a few paragraphs.

I remember going to a delivery prep class at the hospital a few weeks before Jaren was to be born.  The woman asked us all there when we were due.  She exclaimed we would all be having Thanksgiving babies.  I was like, what ever.  This baby isn't coming any where near Thanksgiving.  I then went to the Dr. on my due date and he proceeded to tell me that I wouldn't have this baby for another week.  Devastated is what I was.  He stripped my membranes, which by the way was the most painful experience to that point, and told me I could prove him wrong.  He informed me that I could experience some cramping from his vigorous hand up my v-jj.    Off to home we went.  The next morning was indeed Thanksgiving.  Brent went off to play football and I woke up to cramps.  Or at least what I thought was cramps.  They bothered me all morning long and into the afternoon.  We had Thanksgiving at my parents house and my Mom kept on insisting that I was probably in labor.  The cramps came every 12 minutes, then every 10.  Maybe I was in labor.  I knew I wasn't suppose to eat anything so my meal was pretty meager that year.  In an effort to keep the contractions going my Mom, sister Jessica, and I went on a walk.  Above my parents house is a tremendously steep road.  We decided to attempt that hill.  I beat both my Mom and Sis. 9 months pregnant and in labor.  I am very proud of that story.

The evening progressed and so did my contractions.  They were now 5 minutes apart and getting difficult to talk through.  At 11:30pm we decided to head to the hospital.  We called both our parents informing them of their soon to be Grandparenthood.  Soon I was in the standard Hospital gown with all the monitors hooked up to me.  I really wanted to get the epidural.  I had to wait an hour to make sure I was really in labor.  Of course I was and in the mean time had to suffer through terrible back labor.  It was not fun.  I was relieved when I finally go the epidural and could finally relax.  My Mom and Sister were both present for Jaren's birth.  Of course, Brent was there too.  While in the middle of delivering the stinking Doctor took a phone call!!  Yes, with my legs spread eagle and in stirrups, she took a phone call.  What the heck?  Really?  Jaren finally arrived and they quickly placed his perfect little body on my stomach.  I remember his tiny arms flailing along with spread fingers and thought to myself, "He looks just like Brent!!"  He was an instant Mini Me. 

There is nothing more spiritual or miraculous then giving birth.  The quiet that proceeds from being alone in the hospital gives one to reflect on that spiritual experience and how you never want that spirit to be interrupted.  And then you go home and life goes on.  The world around finds a way to sneak in through, radio and t.v.   I never wanted to t.v. on, or the radio.  At that time we didn't have much of a computer or the internet.  I just wanted to quiet peace to continue forever.

That is the birth story of Jaren Elijah.

Jaren was able to celebrate his 13th birthday on 3 different occasions.  Once with the Woods', once with the Weiss' and finally on his real birthday with just our family.  I labored to make him a quilt for his bed, and ended up painting stripes in his room.

I am very proud of Jaren.  He is a wonderful son who shows tremendous responsibility and desire to do good.  He honors his priesthood and does a great job with his church calling as Deacon President.  At home Jaren is happy and always ready to tease me or any one else for that matter.  Jaren is a blessing to me and our home.  I can't wait to see what this year brings for him.



Opening a present.
Sweet wrapping job done by Hannah.



Jaren with both his presents, lego game and quilt to fit his twin size bed.



I think Grace was more excited about the gifts then Jaren was.
She is just so cute!

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Happy Birthday to Jaren.

Amberlyn: The quilt looks great. I can't wait to see it in person.

richardson crew said...

Happy birthday Jaren! I can't believe that you are 13! Everyone here in Cali still talked about what a great kid you are. Stay that way!

Jessica said...

Holy teenager! How is it possible that he is 13? He's a great person and growing into such a wonderful young man. I can't wait to see him in January!