Friday, January 9, 2009

Chasing Sunets

Sunset, just outside my garage.
Blocked by other homes.

Sunset from behind the empty field.
Nothing to block it's beauty.


One more attempt to capture this fleeting moment.


And just like that, it's over.



Last night as I went outside to pick up I&A I was struck by the beauty of the Sunset. I ran back inside to grab my camera. I wanted so badly to capture that sunset. Unfortunately there were houses in the way. I thought, "Oooo, I'll just drive up the road a bit and take the picture in front of that empty field. I wont be too late getting the girls'." I found myself chasing that sunset, trying to get the "perfect" picture.

In so doing I remembered a class that I took at Education week several years ago. The teacher was a Sis. VanDyke and she emphasised motherhood. During one of her classes she compared the time with our children to a sunset. Don't wait to do something with now, because our time with them is fleeting and short. Right before our eyes, they change and grow and just like that, they are gone.
Such at my experience with that Sunset. After picking up the girls' I noticed the brilliance again and drove as fast I dare to that same empty field. Much to my dismay, the sunset was done showing her glory and sharing her beauty.
I'm glad that Sunset reminded me how precious my time is with my children. How important it is that I teach them proper principles of the gospel, and to simply love them.

7 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so glad you got pictures of that beautiful sunset! I was driving home while the sun was going down and I was in absolute AWE! I thought to myself, "I wish I had my camera. I would have pulled over right on I-15 just to capture the moment.

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

That sunset is beautiful! I miss Utah sunsets!! It is true we really do have to enjoy every momentsand take advantage with the short time we really do have with our little ones. Time goes too fast!

Sweet Caroline said...

Oh Wow...the third picture made my heart drop. It brought me back to Utah. I didn't realize I miss it. Thanks for sharing...I LOVE sunsets...

Jessica said...

Well, I think you succeeded in capturing the sunset. It's so true how quickly our baby babes grow up!

Ryan said...

I saw that same sunset and thought that it was amazing!! I tried calling dad so he could snap some shots of it, but couldn't. So I had to sadly stand there watching it fade into oblivion. I was walking out of Dillard's when I saw it and immediately stopped. There were a few other people rushing out of the store to their cars and I couldn't help but wonder how they could ignore such a spectacular creation. It was surreal and I felt like I was looking at something created on some special effects computer. Anyway, it was awesome and I'm glad that you were able to capture it on film!!

Mindy said...

Oh how beautiful. We had a beautiful pink sunset a couple days ago but I didn't get pictures. It sure is amazing!

mikecarmen98 said...

Wow Amberlyn, your photos are absolutely stunning. It makes me appreciate living in windy Spanish Fork.