Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Family Home Evening Flop

Today I thought I would take over FHE. Brent is usually the one to do FHE and I am totally fine with this. He does a good job. But he doesn't usually do a lot of crafty activities. While Brent fed Grace I worked with the kids to do Book of Mormon placemats. I had all the stuff for them. I had bought the pictures earlier and was just waiting for the right time to put them together. I thought it was going to be great. No scissors were involved because we were just tearing the paper. Well, I was completely wrong. Jaren, Annika and Isabel flipped out about the tearing of paper and how they couldn't get just right. The whole point was that it didn't have to be perfect. Jaren stormed off several times. Annika sat quietly crying. Isabel of course was the loudest about the whole thing, but she solved the problem by pulling out scissors. Annika liked that idea better as well and used them after Isabel. Plus, the contact paper took forever to pull away from the paper it came in and I couldn't get to all the kids fast enough. Jaren thought his looked too much like a girls. I think the only child that was happy with the whole project was Hannah. She was very patient with her Mother and I appreciate that so much. What a flop is turned out to be. I was so excited for them to be doing something fun with their hands and almost every one of them hated it. I'm still giving myself an A for effort. I didn't lose my cool one time, and I think they all turned out great.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I am LOL'ing so fiercely right now. The image of Jaren storming off and Annika crying quietly all over a frustrated craft project is heelarious to me. You did have a great idea and it's just funny how fussy the kids were about it. Thanks for sharing this fun experience.

Denise said...

I LOVE them.

And it's an A+ for effort.

I wouldn't worry too much about them being frustrated.

One day, they are going to say, "Mom, why don't we ever do fun things like that time we made our own placemats?"

It will make you want to run screaming down the road once more.

At least they made a memory!

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

You need to post some pictures of the placemats! That sounds like such a great craft, even if I end up making them all.:0)

Gma said...

FHE may have been a flop in your eyes but I am sure the kids will remember with fond memories every time they use their placemats. I loved the singing, they just make my heart sing as well. I can see it now, Rock Star Twins!
Love ya, Gma