Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Oh Really?

Sunday morning I was looking over a project that Jaren was suppose to turn in the very next day. His teacher outlined the requirements and one of them was to avoid plagiarism. I told him how to avoid this. Well, he didn't follow instructions. So I made him go back and re-do the whole thing. He was not happy with me. He had already glued his plagiarized information on his posterboard. I made him re-print and glue the new stuff on to scrapbook paper. I showed him how to do the first one and made him do the rest. After his first one he asked me how it looked. I answered with an enthusiastic "It looks Great". His shoulders slumped and he replied, " Is that all you have to say?"

Me: What else was I suppose to say Jaren?

Jaren: It looks Awesome!!

Me: It looks Awesome, fabulous!!!

Jaren: That's not the right way. Mom you just don't know how to talk to kids. You just know how to talk to other parents and it take you for ever.

Oh really? I knew the day would come when I wouldn't have to correct vocabulary to talk with my children. But so soon? Come on, jaren is only 10 years old. I guess I should have told him that his poster was "Sick". Isn't that like the new "cool"?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Yikes. That was a harsh lesson. Hopefully you can pick up on the proper vocabulary of enthusiasm so your kids truly KNOW that you are excited about their achievements. Sheesh.

gma said...

Remember when I came to your house when Jaren was younger and he wanted me to leave. You got so upset with him. The next time I came over her said, "Your mom is here." He sat down with me and then said, "See I am being nice to her." You have to love the honesty of youth! Gma