Okay, So I've only been to Girls' Camp 1 and 1/4 times my whole Young Women career. I don't remember it being ANYTHING like what I experienced last night. And maybe it's been a while since I've been a teenager. But still. I was asked to be on the comity to help with the food. (Which I haven't had a lot of say in either. Apparantly these teenagers are picky.) I was amazed at the great lengths these women were coming up with for entertainment!!!! I made this comment to the comity and their answer was simple, " If we don't, they wont come to church. " My friend Leslie, who a counselor in the Y.W. Stake Presidency said that girls' will call their Mom's and their Mom's will COME PICK them up!!! What? Just because they aren't having enough fun. Other comments were made about complaints of No Cell Phones and 1 peace swim suits!!! The first thing that came to my mind was, " we are commanded to Live in the world, not be Of the world". What are these families teaching these young women. Grant it, I don't have any teenagers of my own. So I don't know what it's like. And personally I am scared crapless to actually have a teenagers. But come on people!!! Basic principles of the gospel aren't being taught here. I was so angry. If I were a parent I would tell my girls You are Not bringing cell phones, there's no reason for them up on the mountain, You will eat what they serve you it's common courtasy, and you will NOT wear a two peace swim suit that just immodest. Am I being completely unreasonable to think that this is going to be a possible way to parent when my girls' are teenager? One of the women even said that these girls are spoiled. Duh, ya think?
I hope and pray that I am strong enough to stand up for what is right and to teach my daughters to do the same.
9 years ago
3 comments:
I can't believe what these girls are complaining about...I went to camp 6 years and not once did we get to pick the food we ate or wear two piece swimming suits and if you weren't having fun it was our fault. Camp will be fun if you make it fun. That's what you need to tell the girls. And these parents going and picking up the girls is unbelievable, they need to strap some on and stand up to their kids. Crazy!
I couldn't agree with you more.
There were girls at Emma's birthday party that had cell phones and digital cameras!
I cannot believe what is considered "necessary" for kids today...it isn't for my kids and we tell them OFTEN not to expect it...because it isn't going to happen.
Unless the girls are being mistreated in some way, not having enough fun is not a good enough reason to call me to come get them!
Holy crap!
I guess that's why we start now being consistent and sticking to our guns. Otherwise, when they're older, you lose perspective. It sounds like those moms are like, "At least they go to church...."
And I think in a way, the leaders are giving into that. There should be clear rules for Girls Camp and if someone breaks them, they go home. That's the way it was when I was in YW's.
Of course, my mom was the Stake YW's President so when a leader caught me breaking a rule I would just say, "Do you know who my mom is?" Bratty! I know. Well- my mom didn't let me get away with that for sure! And I had to apologize to the leaders for being snotty.
Tough Love Ladies... tough love! It works!
Post a Comment