Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Forever Home




Several weeks ago I came downstairs to Beckham's Sweet Setup. Everyday, without fail, Beckham asks if he can play the Wii. We finally got a few games that he can figure out on his own so I give in. On this particular day he felt the inclination to get a little cozy. He pulled his pillow and blanket downstairs and arranged himself just so on the couch. Man, to be a kid again, with no cares.

Just the other day Beckham approached me and asked me this question, " When I grow up will I still live with you?"
Me: How old are we talking about? 16?
B: No
Me: 17?
B: No
Me: Tell you what, you get to live with Mom and Dad until you turn 19. Then you'll get to go on your mission. After you get home from your mission you can decide where you want to live.
B: I want to live you and Dad.
Me: Then you can live with Mom and Dad.

No wonder he wants to stay at home forever. He gets to pull his pillow and blanket down to the couch and play the Wii for as long as his little heart desires.

This conversation sparked a memory of mine. When I was a Teenager I was having a rather traumatic day. I told my Mom I never wanted to move away. She boldly told me that I could stay as long as I wanted. She would even fix up the basement to be an apartment for me. Relief swept over me and I was so grateful for those comforting words. As I left my Dad said, " Why in the world would you say that to her." Mom my replied with confidence, " She isn't going to want to live with us forever."

My Mom was right. But her words gave me the comfort I needed to get me through my week. Knowing I always had a safe place to return to at the end of the day was all I needed.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Can I come live with you too? A blannket and the Wii? I'd be set for life.

Jessica said...

I would be THRILLED if my kids said they wanted to live with me forever. ;)

Can I cozy up with Beckham on the couch and play wii? That sounds pretty sweet. Love that kid.