Tuesday, May 13, 2008

An Interesting Mother's Day

Saturday afternoon my Dad called me and invited all of my kids except Grace to spend the night. He had already talked with Brent and thought that would be fine. I was excited to have some time by myself with Brent. Then I realized that I was going to be without children on Mother's Day. My heart ached. I wouldn't get all the "Happy Mother's Day" or hugs from my kids. Then my thoughts went further. I wouldn't have to fight with them to get them dressed, to brush their hair and teeth, to settle down, to stop this and that.
It was nice to go to a movie that night with Brent. Having the house be so quiet in the morning was very unusual, and not feeling the rush to hurry and get ready was nice. But I missed my kids!!! As much work as they are, I missed the hustle and bustle. I really did miss the exclamations of love. It was a sweet reminder to me how much I truly enjoy being a Mother.
Several years ago I had a friend point something out to me on Mother's Day. I was feeling very down. I waned Mother's Day to be perfect. I didn't want to have to lift a finger. I didn't want to still have to clean up after breakfast, lunch and dinner. I wanted home made cards that had verses of devoted love written to me. As I was feeling so down about this some what crappy Mother's Day she said to me, " Mother's Day is a day for you to be the BEST mother that you can be." From then on I have expected nothing from Mother's Day. So anything I get is special. I am grateful that my parents are so willing to take my brood of children, it's not easy. I don't think I'll agree to it again over Mother's Day weekend. I missed being their Mom that morning.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Every mom deserves kudos on mother's day!

Happy mother's day!

Jessica said...

Hmm, never thought of Mother's Day as a day to be the best mom ever but I like that approach. You are probably more likely to get the attention you want if you are the best mom ever, especially on that day.