Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Greater Good

Notice Beckham's fingers.
These are things worth fighting for:
Freedom
Faith
Family


Brent now gets to help the Scouts put up the flags in
our Neighborhood.

As most of you, I remember 9/11 vividly. I know exactly where I was and what I was doing. I was a new mother of twin girls and two other small children. Brent called me early in the morning. I was up already since my children couldn't seem to sleep past 6am. I turned the television on and watched. "This couldn't be real" I thought to myself. It was almost like watching a movie. As horrible as the images were, I couldn't turn away. I couldn't turn off the t.v. I was in shock of the scenes blazing before my eyes. I watched as the second plane came into view and with all it's fury and evil slam into the second building. Without my full realization, I was watching people lose their lives. Yes there is pure evil out there. Organized by demented mad men. But there is also the GREATER GOOD. There were men and women who ran into those buildings without a second thought to their own lives, and what they were risking. Devoted to saving others. And yes, they did save some lives. I realize that more was lost that day. I am grateful to those men and women who proved to us that there is good still left in this world.

This country IS worth fighting for. It is what gives us the right to have our own opinion, and worship how we please.

Yes, we live in evil and tumultuous times. Times that frighten me. Soon I will have a son old enough to go to Junior High. Junior High is tough, I'm scared for him. But we also live in a time of Great Good. If I arm my children with the gospel and teach them proper principles they will (cross my fingers) make the right choices. Surrounding themselves with good friends and good activities. I hope they are strong enough to stand up for what is right and good. It's going to be tough. I have confidence in them. I have to. Otherwise I would lock them up in the basement and accidentally lose the key till they are 30.

1 comment:

Pike's Place said...

Locking them up in the basement sounds so simple and safe. :) Too bad life doesn't work out that way. I, too, was totally affected by 9/11 -- that was a huge turning point in the way I saw the world. You're right, though, greater good exists.