Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A night with a sick baby.

Grace hasn't been feeling well lately. Last night before I put her to bed she was running a fever of 102. I knew I was in for a rough night. First attempt at going to bed, 9:30pm, after nursing for well over 30 minutes (yes, I know I was being used as a human pacifier, we've all done it for our own sanity). I read a few pages from my book and quickly doze off to sleep. Wailing comes what seems like 5 minutes after falling asleep, I look at the clock, 11:30pm. What the heck? I pick her up not wanting to wake the whole house and nurse her in bed. Luckily she falls right back to sleep and right back to her crib she goes. Wailing again, this time 4am, this time she's burning up. Stumbling downstairs trying to encourage my what feels like super glued shut eyes open so I don't fall down the stairs to get the tylenol. Why didn't I bring it upstairs with me? I new this was going to happen. I gave her the medicine and again, not wanting to wake the whole house I nurse her in bed. This time, sleeping is not what Grace had in mind. Instead she rolled, flipped, crawled, stood, squealed, farted, pulled, scratched, kicked, burped, plopped, tugged, rolled, crawled, stood, plopped, squealed, scratched etc., etc., etc. After an HOUR of this nonsense and no sign of slowing down, I plopped her into her crib. She can roll, crawl, stand, plop, fart and burp in her own space!!!!! She had no objections and finally fell asleep.

Oh the JOYS of babyhood!!!!

6 comments:

Elisabeth Taylor said...

HAHAHA- I love this post! YES, we have all been there, or at least you and I! I don't feel guilt anymore about sticking Slade in his crib when I can't take it anymore and he MUST sleep and I MUST SLEEP even more! It has actually taught him to go BACK to sleep and stay there. I LOVE sickness too- they get overtired and you're overtired...YUCK

Jessica said...

Oh, I'm so sorry Amberlyn. I hope you were able to get a nap today. Also, I've nominated you for the Brillante Weblog Premio 2008 award. Come to my blog to check it out. :)

Pike's Place said...

Amberlynn, I feel for you! The exhaustion level of the mother of a sick baby is incalculable! Hopefully you'll both get the rest you need. Good luck!

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

Oh man! I really hope you get some good shut eye tonight!

Jessica said...

No words, just laughter!

Angie said...

I agree, sick babies are the worst! Then you have to get them back onto their normal schedule again, which also bites rocks. Good luck!