Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Soap Box Moment

This past weekend we had the opportunity to participate in a Regional Stake Conference. Elder Uchtdorf presided over the meeting of over 130 stakes. I was really looking forward to listening to him speak so I made sure that my family was on time to the meeting. And not just on time, but EARLY!!! For a woman with 6 children this is no easy task. It takes lots of organization and preperation to have everyone ready to leave on time.
When we arrived I told Brent to hop out and save us a seat. Don't worry about me and the kids, I'll meet him inside. Well, I new what to expect when I walked in, it just ERKS me every time it happens. We arrive early and pretty much HALF the benches are saved with books and other items that scream at you, " I'm saving this seat for someone other then YOU!" Oh it's so irritating. Those of us who can actually perform the feat of getting there on time should have the priviliage of sitting in those darn benches. I don't care if you think those other people or more clever then I. It totally should be against church policy to save a bench knowing very well that you wont walk in until 5 minutes before the meeting begins (I am not a retard, I know this is why they do it). Some people didn't even walk in until after the meeting started!!!!

Deep Breath.

Breath in.

Breath out.

The gospel is still true. And Elder Uchtdorf gave a wonderful talk.

5 comments:

Elisabeth Taylor said...

AMEN SISTA!!!

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

So your the one that moved my book? :0)

Denise said...

o man! I feel the same way!!! something else that kills me? All those lame people that don't come to stake conference unless a apostle is coming...then they are johnny on the spot.

If you can't come for the regular stuff, you shouldn't be able to come for the super cool stuff.

Jessica said...

I hear you and totally agree. No more bench saving! I hate it. I'm proud of you for getting your family ready and early!

Gma said...

You must be your dad's daughter. One stake conference dad went to the president and complained. The stake president made some broad comment about being considerate of others but not specifically "not to save benches." You should have just plopped yourselves down in a row and said "We saved one seat for the book that was here." It is extremely annoying and so irritating to the point of scaring off the spirit.