Tuesday, September 9, 2008

That's resourceful


This week when I went grocery shopping I didn't make a list of meals that I would make like I usually do. I only had a certain amount to spend, thanks to a crappy economy and tight budget. I remember that I had some chicken in the freezer. I thought, hey, I'll make home made chicken nuggets. I remember seeing a box of Shake and bake in the pantry. When I went to pull it out it wasn't the right kind. I wasn't feeling the whole b-q thing. Then I remember a box of golden onion soup mix which I've made nuggets out of before. I read those directions and realized that I didn't have the breadcrumbs required for the recipe. As I sat stairing into the depths of my pantry I knew I could use something in there. A Stove Top Stuffing box sprung out at me. Hey, it's dried bread. So I took my rolling pin, bashed the dried bread cubes and made seasoned bread crumbs. I added all ingredients together and voila, home made chicken nuggets. Aside from the fact that I forgot to season the chicken, it was a success. Move over Sandra Lee, I'm taking over.

5 comments:

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

At times we have had to be creative too! I wouldn't have thought of that one, good job!

Ian and Kristin said...

Hey Amberlyn! It's been a long time! I found your blog in a long round about way...too long to discuss. Anyway, it's good to see your cute family and hear that you are doing well. Good job with the cooking-I could never do that. I am a terrible cook!

Denise said...

you are so good! i wish we lived close!

Jessica said...

Well done Amberlyn! Did the kids love them? You are an amazing pantry pioneer!

Jessica said...

Good job being thrifty! Necessity is definitely the Mother of Invention! :)